Location: Columbia, MD
Reporting Relationship: Executive Director, Finance
Consortium Health Plans (www.consortiumhealthplans.com) is an independent company that focuses exclusively on its member / owner Blue Cross Blue Shield Plans’ national account growth efforts. Today, BCBS Plans serve more than 27 million total national account members, which represents over a quarter of the 103 million total Blue Cross Blue Shield members (one in three Americans).
Consortium Health Plans strives to position Blue Cross Blue Shield Plans as the preferred carrier of national accounts. Of the 27 million national account members covered by BCBS Plans, nearly 25 million (92%) hail from Consortium’s 21 member Plans.
Consortium Health Plans is proud of its team of experts in healthcare, technology, software development, data and analytics, actuarial science, underwriting, sales and marketing, and communications. Consortium’s executive leadership team encompasses a broad range of expertise, from strategic planning, benefits consulting, clinical delivery and data analytics, to sales and account management, marketing, and staff development.
The HR Director will serve as a strategic business partner to ensure HR programs are in alignment with the corporate short- and long-term objectives. The HR Director is responsible for maintaining and creating compliant HR practices that stay abreast of the changing legal landscape and ensuring that our HR programs are competitive with industry trends. The HR Director will also lead a talent development strategy to ensure challenging career paths within our small agile organization.
Consortium Health Plans supports its customers, Blue Cross Blue Shield Plans (BCBS), to grow the BCBS National Account client base by providing innovative solutions. We are seeking a versatile human resources leader who will work collaboratively with Consortium’s senior staff to effectively execute HR practices and programs to meet our customer’s goals and expectations and ensure that our staff is highly productive, collaborative and engaged.
The candidate must have strong leadership, interpersonal and communication skills and understand how to influence staff members to increase the overall effectiveness and the clock speed of the Consortium organization.
- Influence the organizational culture through application of effective, consistent, fair practices and strong, firm leadership
- Create an efficient recruitment life cycle and talent strategy for technical and non-technical entry level through executive level candidates
- Streamline HR processes to increase efficiency
- Ensure compensation practices and protocols are in line with associated markets
- Stay abreast of management following standard HR processes for hiring, corrective action, training requests and similar
- Be knowledgeable and up to date on HR, Benefits, Workers’ Compensation and related laws and review procedures for compliance on federal, state, county and municipality level
- Provide guidance on employee relations issues including mentoring, corrective action, harassment claims
- Execute day to day operational tasks as needed
- Provide training to staff on HR related topics
- Manage Senior Associate
Qualifications and Skills
- Minimum 5 years of supervisory experience in HR role
- At least 12 years in progressively more responsible Human Resources Generalist positions within a for-profit environment
- Bachelor’s degree required in Human Resources, Business or related field. Master’s degree preferred
- SHRM-SCP or SPHR preferred
Attributes and Competencies
- Strong executive presence with excellent presentation and consultative skills
- Approachable and trustworthy
- Excellent ability to actively listen and provide reasonable solutions as needed
- Intellectual curiosity
- Take calculated, intelligent and well-executed risks
- Action-oriented with ability to adapt quickly
- Ability to travel locally and nationally (<5% of time based on a 1950 work hours per year)
- Position requires extensive communication, phone and computer work
Why work at Consortium? Here are 10 great reasons:
- You will hit the ground running on your first day, and learn something new every day after that.
- We offer competitive salaries, a bonus structure, a cash balance pension, and a safe harbor 401(k).
- We have a flexible work schedule and a very generous holiday and paid time-off program.
- We value your drive to continue your education and will support eligible employees through our tuition reimbursement program.
- We are a diverse, highly credentialed group of professionals.
- We are great at what we do and are looking for smart people to join us.
- Our work has an impact on the one-in-three Americans who receive top-notch healthcare benefits through Blue Cross and Blue Shield Companies.
- As a team, we support our local community, and we support team members who raise funds for charitable causes.
- Our company is located next to the Columbia Mall, several great restaurants, the award-winning Toby’s Dinner Theatre, and Merriweather Post Pavilion, a nationally ranked outdoor concert venue.
- We offer free parking and easy access to Route 29 and I-95.