Location: Chicago, IL or Columbia, MD
Reporting Relationship: Senior Vice President, Clinical Innovation and Partnerships
Consortium Health Plans (www.consortiumhealthplans.com) is an independent company that focuses exclusively on its member / owner Blue Cross Blue Shield Plans’ national account growth efforts. Today, BCBS Plans serve more than 27 million total national account members, which represents over a quarter of the 103 million total Blue Cross Blue Shield members (one in three Americans).
Consortium Health Plans strives to position Blue Cross Blue Shield Plans as the preferred carrier of national accounts. Of the 27 million national account members covered by BCBS Plans, nearly 25 million (92%) hail from Consortium’s 21 member Plans.
Consortium Health Plans is proud of its team of experts in healthcare, technology, software development, data and analytics, actuarial science, underwriting, sales and marketing, and communications. Consortium’s executive leadership team encompasses a broad range of expertise, from strategic planning, benefits consulting, clinical delivery and data analytics, to sales and account management, marketing, and staff development.
The Business Analyst will work with an interdisciplinary team of economists, actuaries, software developers, and other health care professionals to support the success of Blue Cross Blue Shield national accounts and demonstrate the strength and economic value of Blue Cross Blue Shield networks.
Consortium Health Plans is seeking a versatile high-performer with a passion for health care who can work collaboratively with Consortium staff and member Plans to execute business data management strategies. This individual would work closely with Consortium’s SVP of Clinical Innovation and Partnerships to support the strategy development and data use of the Innovator Knowledge Base, a dynamic data repository of healthcare-related vendors, in addition to being involved in other key Consortium initiatives related to business data requirements.
The candidate must have strong analytical, project management and communication skills and a demonstrated ability to translate articulated business needs into clear technical requirements and analytics.
- Product/ interface enhancement, working with internal and external stakeholders to manage information in the tool, and provide integration with other Consortium and member Plan tools as needed.
- Support oversight and/or development of other strategic initiatives and report on key business data elements.
- Oversee data quality of the knowledge base: understanding how things currently work versus what needs to be done to improve the data quality and processes. Ability to monitor and support efforts in the organization to make those improvements
- Verify new database entries for proper formatting and quality per knowledge base standards
- Manage and maintain vendor contacts, outreach process, and data survey elements
- Identifying the data elements, creating/documenting definitions of the data elements, developing standards for knowledge base or other products as they are developed or maintained
- Define, approve and update data quality and policy rules and governance as needed for team products
- Develop and run queries against databases to obtain analytics on use rate and other key metrics
- Develop and run queries on database to support Consortium and Member Plan user business needs
- Provide input on data requirements and participate in User Acceptance Testing in products and efforts sponsored by the company which impact data
- Interface with Member Plans on Innovator Knowledgebase and maximizing utilization and impact
- Business domain expertise: understand what is needed to support the users of the knowledge and make the recommendations regarding data to meet those requirements. Includes ensuring data quality – ability to assess data from a business perspective to determine the quality of the data provided.
- Perform root cause analysis for prioritized data problems and coordinate remediation activities to address issues
- Comply with all information privacy and security policies as specified in the “Consortium Health Plans Information Privacy & Security Policy Manual”
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor degree in business, computer science or related discipline required
- At least 3 years of business analysis experience
- Technical Knowledge: proficiency in MS office, particularly Word, Excel and Outlook. SQL, Access and PowerPoint Preferred
- Research Skills: ability to determine best source of information, required data elements and definitions, and assimilation of recommendations from multiple sources
- Organizational Skills: ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks and responsibilities, track and manage tasks, organize and manage deadlines
- Communication skills: strong verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate with business and IT staff. Requires ability to facilitate and resolve issues.
- Broad data skills: interact with and understand a wide variety of data management principals, including data analytics and data governance. Database query skills preferred
- Experience in health care industry is preferred
Attributes and Competencies
- Demonstrated results orientation, with associated perseverance and resilience
- A collaborative, team orientation
- A bias toward action, practicality and execution, demonstrating appropriate attention to detail
- Ability to self-manage priorities, commitments and deadlines
- Strong problem-solving ability with keen eye for detail
- Strong organization and process improvement skills
- Position requires computer work
Why work at Consortium? Here are 10 great reasons:
- You will hit the ground running on your first day, and learn something new every day after that.
- We offer competitive salaries, a bonus structure, a cash balance pension, and a safe harbor 401(k).
- We have a flexible work schedule and a very generous holiday and paid time-off program.
- We value your drive to continue your education and will support eligible employees through our tuition reimbursement program.
- We are a diverse, highly credentialed group of professionals.
- We are great at what we do and are looking for smart people to join us.
- Our work has an impact on the one-in-three Americans who receive top-notch healthcare benefits through Blue Cross and Blue Shield Companies.
- As a team, we support our local community, and we support team members who raise funds for charitable causes.
- Our company is located next to the Columbia Mall, several great restaurants, the award-winning Toby’s Dinner Theatre, and Merriweather Post Pavilion, a nationally ranked outdoor concert venue.
- We offer free parking and easy access to Route 29 and I-95.